Many people these days have a Brazilian butt lift (BBL) to add volume to their rear. But what should you do if your buttocks and nearby skin are sagging? You might be a candidate for a bum lift, also called a buttock lift.
A bum lift is a plastic surgery procedure to enhance the shape and appearance of the buttocks. A bum lift may be done as part of a tummy tuck or body lift to provide a more attractive contour to the groin, thighs, buttocks, and abdomen.
A bum lift doesn’t add volume to the buttocks as a BBL does, but it can be paired with that procedure to provide a larger, rounder butt.
Why Have A Bum Lift?
As you age, the skin changes and gets looser, and that can make the buttocks sag. Also, changes in weight, genes, and sun damage can negatively affect skin elasticity.
A bum lift is also done with other procedures to provide a better body contour. You could be a candidate for a butt lift if you:
- Lost a lot of weight recently and your weight has been stable for six months
- Are obese but haven’t been able to lose enough weight with diet and exercise
- Are close to your ideal weight but want to improve your lower body appearance
- Are at a normal weight, but your skin isn’t contracting after liposuction because of poor skin elasticity
A butt lift is often appropriate for patients who have lost buttock volume with aging. The procedure involves an incision on the top of the buttocks, lifting the buttocks, and removing extra skin.
A bum lift can provide a smoother and more attractive bottom while eliminating extra, loose skin. If you want to change your rear look, talk to your plastic surgeon about a bum lift soon.
Additional Information About A Bum Lift
Below is more information about bum lifts:
Lift Or Liposuction?
If you have loose skin and wrinkles in the buttocks, a butt lift is needed. Liposuction only removes fat from problem areas with a cannula. So, removing fat from the buttocks will only accentuate the problem with loose, sagging skin.
However, your surgeon may combine a butt lift with liposuction for ideal results. A tummy tuck also may be appropriate to remove loose skin from the abdomen.
Other patients have a breast lift and breast augmentation, as well, to provide a new look.
Another option instead of or in addition to a bum lift is butt implants. A butt implant procedure uses silicone implants to enhance the buttocks’ appearance. Other patients have a BBL to increase the volume and shape of their rear.
Remember that butt implant surgery requires about two months of downtime, and you can’t sit on your rear during this time.
It’s essential to be near your goal weight before undergoing a butt lift. Gaining or losing weight could affect your results.
People who still need to lose weight should wait on their butt lift until they reach their ideal weight.
Scarring is part of any plastic surgery procedure. However, a skilled surgeon can reduce scarring as much as possible.
The incisions for a bum lift are usually put in the natural folds below the buttocks, so they are hard to see. The scars can typically be hidden by underwear or a swimsuit.
Butt Lift Recovery
A butt lift is a significant surgery, so a few weeks of recovery is needed. You will need at least two weeks off work, and full recovery may take three months. Some tips for your bum lift recovery include:
- After the general anesthesia wears off, there will be some discomfort. Your surgeon will provide pain medication, but contact them if the pain is excessive. Most patients also have swelling and redness in the incision area. The swelling can continue for up to a few months but will fade with time.
- You will need help at home after a bum lift. Most patients don’t feel like themselves for up to two weeks. Also, don’t attempt anything strenuous for at least four to six weeks. If you have little children, have someone help with them for two weeks.
- Ask for instructions for sleeping and sitting. For example, you may use a donut pillow to sit for short periods after the first week. But you should avoid sitting on the buttocks as much as you can during the recovery.
- The surgeon may put in drains to remove fluid from the buttock incisions. Then, after a few days, the surgeon will remove them.
The results from a bum lift last many years. However, changing weight, pregnancy, and aging can affect the buttocks look. Focus on keeping a healthy lifestyle with a good diet and plenty of exercise, and the results will last for years.
Request A Bum Lift Consultation
Thinking about a bum lift in Beverly Hills? Dr. Nicholas Lahar is pleased to provide plastic surgery procedures to his Beverly Hills patients. He will discuss your aesthetic goals during your consultation and help you decide if you are a good candidate for a bum lift.
Buttock Enhancement. (n.d.). Accessed at https://www.plasticsurgery.org/cosmetic-procedures/buttock-enhancement
Buttock Lift. (n.d.). Accessed at https://www.smartbeautyguide.com/procedures/body/buttock-lift/
Buttock Lift Overview. (n.d.). Accessed at https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/buttock-lift/about/pac-20393277